My inbox, like yours, is full of emails about the Corona virus.
Just as I was thinking about realistic steps to share for you to use to boost your immunity, my friend sent me a message asking precisely for that AND how to ward off overeating in stressful times – like many of us, they are stuck at home with the kids!
“I keep stocking up on food at home and we keep eating it!”
A Healthy immune system need good, regular nourishment. Here’s how I recommend you go about it.
1. START YOUR DAY WITH THIS MORNING LEMON GINGER ELIXIR
The honey in the elixir will refill glycogen stores in the liver after fasting all night which will allow you to go through your day with less stress and more energy.
- Lemon contains vitamin C, flushes out toxins and cleans the liver.
- Ginger is anti-inflammatory and helps fight the flu and cold.
- Celtic Salt – helps to balance out minerals in the body. It also helps in getting rid of excessive mucus from the body. This helps in clearing out your lungs and nasal passages from congestion.
Eating or drinking too much sugar curbs immune system cells that attack bacteria. This effect lasts for at least a few hours. Instead, eat more fruits and vegetables, which are rich in nutrients like vitamins C and E, plus beta-carotene and zinc which boost immunity.
To curb your sweet tooth, fruits and veggies can be combined to make a tasty smoothie.
Another option is to pair 1 cup of fruit with a handful of nuts and crunch away.
If you have to have ‘dessert’, try these Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
3. STUCK AT HOME WITH THE KIDS? MOVEMENT IS KEY!
Exercise lowers stress, is a pillar of healthy living and boosts immunity. It will also help you stop overeating as you direct your energy somewhere other than food.
Here are some suggestions:
Have fun together dancing – “Just Dance” to your favorite songs, use a YouTube exercise video geared for the family or just yourself. If you have a gym at home, use it. If you can go for a walk or job, do that.
4. MINIMIZE STRESS
In addition to taking the steps recommended to stave off infection – by washing your hands regularly, cleaning and sanitizing your environment, staying away from someone sick or vulnerable, make sure to keep stress at bay. Highly stressful situations can temporarily lower your immunity. If you find your stress levels soring, close your eyes and breath deeply.
Try Dr. Andrew Weil’s 4-7-8 technique, focus on the following breathing pattern:
- empty the lungs of air.
- breathe in quietly through the nose for 4 seconds.
- hold the breath for a count of 7 seconds.
- exhale forcefully through the mouth, pursing the lips and making a “whoosh” sound, for 8 seconds.
- repeat the cycle up to 4 times.
From the Kitchen:
Morning Lemon Ginger Elixir
- 2 cups of room temperature or warm water
- The juice of 1⁄2 of a fresh lemon or lime
- 1 teaspoon of melted raw honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (if you can’t find fresh ginger, use 1⁄8 teaspoon organic dried ginger)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt, Celtic salt or Siwa salt (for those in Egypt).
Combine in a cup and stir well before drinking.